Moi Moo is a very popular Nigerian food, popular among the Yoruba in the southwest part of the country. This delicious food is made from beans, cooked and it solidifies, the taste will surely blow your mind away.
From years past till now, moi moi is steamed inside a Pot using leaves such as the ”Ewe eran ” (Thaumatococcus daniellii) or Banana leaves. There were era in which peak milk tin and nylon were used, even plastic bowls were used. They all av their own advantage and disadvantages.
Today you will be learning how to make moi moi, easy, quick and delicious, but before we get started read our professional tip, they are important, without them, you might meet an unexpected ending.p
- 11/2 Cups of dry beans Black eyed Peas or Brown Beans-”Ewa Oloyin”
- 1 Red Bell pepper/Tatashe Medium size
- 1 Habanero/scotch Bonnet/Rodo
- 3/4 Cup Diced onion
- 2 Tablespoons Crayfish
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Bullion Cubes
- 3/4 Cup of cooked minced Fish
- 3 Hard boiled Eggs
- Salt to taste
- Don’t use Tomatoes or Tomato based products when making Moin Moin/ Moi moi it makes it difficult for the Moin Moin/Moi moi solidify.
- Be sure to check the water level at least every 10 – 15 minutes to prevent the Moin moin from burning and top up the Water as required.
- Be careful with Salts – a little goes a long way.
- Soak the Beans even more if it’s still hard after peeling it. Soft peeled Beans are easier to blend, thus preventing your Moin moin from becoming grainy.
- Wondering how to make Moin moin/Moi moi? Here is what you need to do
- Moi moi get burnt easily and if the moi moi is not wrapped well, the water might find it way not the wrapped moimoi and make it look bad, therefore before you put your moimoi into the pot, the moi moi leaf usually comes with a stick, or finds some sticks, wash them and put it into the pot, use it to serve as a base where the moi moi will lie on when placed in the pot. Make sure the entire pot base is covered.
How to make it
- Soak the Beans for 1 hour (more or less). Warm water usually do the trick faster, The length of time used in soaking the Beans depends on the type of beans you are using and how dry your Beans is. The drier beans tends to be ready for peeling faster than the less dried beans.
- Pour the Beans in the Blender and add twice as much Water as the Beans (by volume) blend the Beans for 3-4 seconds per time and repeat this for 3 to 4 times – Remember we are peeling the Beans and not blending it.
- Pour the beans back into a large Bowl and add enough Water to fully cover the Beans. Now agitate the Beans with your fingers and the skin will float then quickly separate the skin from the Beans by pouring through a sieve.
- Once that is done, Depending on the size of the beans, you can either use a grinding machine or if it just a few cup, pour the peeled Beans (the skinless Beans) inside a Blender, together with the Red Pepper, Habanero and Onion – Blend to the smoothest consistency you can ever get.
- Combine the blended mixture with the remaining ingredients except the boiled Eggs.
- After blending, pour the moi moi into a bowl and stir well, stir for up to 8 minute.
- Spray or oil the container you will be using then pour in the mixture and cover it with a lid or seal with a foil paper.
- We already added this to our professional tip but to make sure you don’t forget, it really important, Line the base of the pot you will be using with either foil paper,sticks,leaves or any thing you deem fit. This is to prevent the Moin moin from burning.
- Arrange the Moin moin inside the Pot and cook till done. This should take about 45 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes depending on the quantity of the Moin moin mixture in each container.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Insert a tooth pick into the middle of the Moin Moin/Moi moi to check for it’s doness. The tooth pick should come out fairly clean and not moist.
We understand that making moi moi can be stressful and not easy to make, if you are still having troubles in making it, watch the video bellow.
Now that you have learnt how to made the delicious moimoi, surprise the family and create some happy memories together. Enjoy… Let know how you made yours, the problem you face and your point of view via our comment box. Thank you.